[Crash-utility] mod -S and debuginfo kernel rpm

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 15:41:03 UTC 2009

----- "Dave Anderson" <anderson at redhat.com> wrote:

> ----- "Guy Streeter" <streeter at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Dave Anderson wrote:
> > How difficult would it be to support one user-specified prefix string,
> > or at least look in "./" as well as "/"? This would help a lot with the
> > systems we set up specifically for core analysis. We really don't want
> > to install the debuginfo rpms for every kernel we might need to look at
> > Updating the system tends to wipe them all out, and iirc they over-write
> > some of each other's files.
>
> Right -- see my last email that I just sent before seeing yours.
> You already can specify an alternative for the stripped module
> directory starting path, but I don't believe it will find the
> associated .ko.debug file.
>
> So we're talking about two different scenarios:
>
> (1) Michael has both the /lib/modules/... and /usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/...
>     trees dumped in his current directory, and
> (2) I believe you're specifying that only /usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/...
>     tree would be in your current directory.
>
> But with (2), the base stripped module directory starting path still
> needs to be there (someplace).

Guy,

Just to clarify...

In other words, are you suggesting that there would be
"./lib" and "./usr" subdirectories in your current directory?
Where the base modules would live under "./lib" and the
debug modules would live under "./usr"?  (like Michael's setup)

That would be best -- it would do-able to just enhance the currently-
existing "mod -S [directory]" option to do the right thing automatically
when dealing with split dumpfiles.

I just want to get everybody on the same page.