[Crash-utility] RE:netdump issue

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 14:17:29 UTC 2009

----- "Anirudh Srinivasan" <srianirudh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>

> I have /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5 but not
> /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp , and let me make one point clear i have
> rhel version 5 as the netdump server , and the client server that was
> crashed is a version 3 rhel. Dave that so kind of you for a good
> suggestion . But is there any other way i can achieve this.

The fact that the netdump server is running on a RHEL5 machine is irrelevant.
The fact that you mention that you have "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5" (RHEL%)
leads me to believe that you are looking for the RHEL3 vmlinux file on the
RHEL5 netdump-server instead of on the RHEL3 machine that crashed.

Again, what you need to analyze the RHEL3 vmcore is:

(1) the stripped vmlinux-<release> from the installed kernel package, which in
    your case would be: kernel-smp-2.4.21-40.EL.i686.rpm.
(2) its associated vmlinux-<release>.debug from the kernel debuginfo package,
    which in your case would be: kernel-debuginfo-2.4.21-40.EL.i686.rpm.

In RHEL3, the stripped vmlinux-<release> file is installed in /boot.
Although, that file is not actually booted -- what actually gets booted is
the vmlinuz-<release> file (with a 'z').

So anyway, the RHEL3 system that crashed was running the 2.4.21.40 kernel
package.  Accordingly, the stripped vmlinux-<release> file and the bootable
vmlinuz-<release> file are *both* contained in that package:

  $ rpm -qpl kernel-smp-2.4.21-40.EL.i686.rpm | grep -e vmlinux -e vmlinuz
  /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp
  /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-40.ELsmp
  $

So, look in /boot on the RHEL3 client for the stripped vmlinux-<release>
file.  If it's not there, find the kernel-smp-2.4.21-40.EL.i686.rpm binary
package that was installed on the system and extract the stripped vmlinux file.