[Crash-utility] netdump issue

Anirudh Srinivasan srianirudh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 16:49:38 UTC 2009

Hi dave and all

As i have said to you previously the netdump server i am using is version
redhat 5 , and the netdump client version is a AS 3 redhat.

Now i have reached a stage where i am having the vmcore file of a crashed AS
3 redhat and i am going to run my crash utility on the netdump server
version 5 . I have installed the kernel-debuginfo.2.4.21.40.EL.i686.rpm
which is equvivalent to the crashed kernel version AS 3 .

Dave, as you suggested to look for and execute
crash <path-to>/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp
<path-to>/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp.debug <path-to>/vmcore

But the fact is i dont have /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp , instead i have
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5 , which make sence because its a redhat version 5
machine.

SO do i need to install secondary kernel version that match the crashed
version?

So what i presume from this is that crash utility can be run on the machine
which run the same version as that of the crashed version .

 Is that right or am i wrong , i dont know.

Where do i go from here . Waiting eagerly for a reply .
Regards
--
Anirudh Srinivasan