[Crash-utility] netdump issue

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 17:00:00 UTC 2009

----- "Anirudh Srinivasan" <srianirudh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi dave and all
>
> As i have said to you previously the netdump server i am using is
> version redhat 5 , and the netdump client version is a AS 3 redhat.
>
> Now i have reached a stage where i am having the vmcore file of a
> crashed AS 3 redhat and i am going to run my crash utility on the
> netdump server version 5 . I have installed the
> kernel-debuginfo.2.4.21.40.EL.i686.rpm which is equvivalent to the
> crashed kernel version AS 3 .
>
> Dave, as you suggested to look for and execute
> crash <path-to>/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp
> <path-to>/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp.debug <path-to>/vmcore
>
> But the fact is i dont have /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-40.ELsmp , instead i
> have /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5 , which make sence because its a
> redhat version 5 machine.
>
> SO do i need to install secondary kernel version that match the
> crashed version?

You must have missed my reply I sent out this morning -- check this out:

  https://www.redhat.com/archives/crash-utility/2009-January/msg00059.html

> So what i presume from this is that crash utility can be run on the
> machine which run the same version as that of the crashed version.

There are no kernel version dependencies, but rather host machine
dependencies.  Presuming you have gathered the (1) stripped vmlinux,
the (2) associated vmlinux.debug, and the (3) vmcore file, you have
the following options:

(1) Run "crash vmlinux vmlinux.debug vmcore" on the RHEL3 machine
    that crashed.
(2) If the RHEL5 netdump-server machine is also a 32-bit x86 machine,
    you can also just run "crash vmlinux vmlinux.debug vmcore" there.
(3) If the RHEL5 netdump-server machine is an x86_64 and running an
    x86_64 kernel, you'd have to copy the 32-bit crash utility binary
    from a 32-bit machine, and run "crash vmlinux vmlinux.debug vmcore"
    specifying the 32-bit version of crash.