[Crash-utility] Re: Cannot open dump when using 2G/2G memory split with 2.6.27.21 SMP x86 kernel

Tero Pirkkanen tp at pirkkanen.net
Thu May 28 11:16:15 UTC 2009

Hi yet again, hopefully the last time you hear from me regarding this issue...

Even though this is not crash-utility related issue and it's highly
unlikely that someone else runs in to this problem, I'll tell the end
result.

> This was a problem in the kernel build process I use after all. I just
> rebuilt the smp and smp-syms kernels form the same sources (only
> difference is CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO) and objdump shows that the addresses
> in the symbol table differs. (8053f700 vs. 8053e700 for
> kernel_config_data).
> For some reason the other configuration combinations produced a correct result.
> There is nothing wrong in crash, so I must apologize again for these
> unnecessary posts.

I was able to get the crash dump of SMP kernel with 2G/2G split to
work by upgrading to 2.6.27.24 kernel. After that kernel build
produced identical symbol table of vmlinux with or without
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO.
Same configuration (from applicable part) also works with 2.6.28 and
2.6.29. So the only combination that produces the mismatch in symbol
tables is the reported
2.6.27.21 SMP with 2G split. I'm not saying that there is something
wrong in kernel makefiles, but without further investigation there
seems to be a (very) small possibility that this is the case...

Thanks,
Tero