[Crash-utility] Re: Cannot open dump when using 2G/2G memory split with 2.6.27.21 SMP x86 kernel

Tero Pirkkanen tp at pirkkanen.net
Thu May 28 09:11:53 UTC 2009

Hi

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Tero Pirkkanen <tp at pirkkanen.net> wrote:
> Hi again
>
> Something was not right in my last post.
>
>> <readmem: 8053f700, KVADDR, "kernel_config_data", 32768, (ROE), 97ab7f8>
> ..
>> <readmem: 807348c0, KVADDR, "cpu_possible_map", 4, (ROE), 8430680>
> ..
>
> Now after sending this mail, I noticed that the values from running
> system that I
> copy-pasted do not actually match to symbols from image.
>
>  # cat /proc/kallsyms |grep kernel_config_data
>> 8053e700 r kernel_config_data
>> # cat /proc/kallsyms |grep cpu_possible_map
>> 807328c0 B cpu_possible_map

This was a problem in the kernel build process I use after all. I just
rebuilt the smp and smp-syms kernels form the same sources (only
difference is CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO) and objdump shows that the addresses
in the symbol table differs. (8053f700 vs. 8053e700 for
kernel_config_data).
For some reason the other configuration combinations produced a correct result.
There is nothing wrong in crash, so I must apologize again for these
unnecessary posts.
Well, at least I learnt something new...

Errare humanum est,
Tero