[Crash-utility] [RFC] gcore subcommand: a process coredump feature

HATAYAMA Daisuke d.hatayama at jp.fujitsu.com
Mon Aug 2 09:00:02 UTC 2010

Hello,

For some weeks I've developed gcore subcommand for crash utility which
provides process coredump feature for crash kernel dump, strongly
demanded by users who want to investigate user-space applications
contained in kernel crash dump.

I've now finished making a prototype version of gcore and found out
what are the issues to be addressed intensely. Could you give me any
comments and suggestions on this work?

Motivation
==========

It's a relatively familiar technique that in a cluster system a
currently running node triggers crash kernel dump mechanism when
detecting a kind of a critical error in order for the running, error
detecting server to cease as soon as possible. Concequently, the
residual crash kernel dump contains a process image for the erroneous
user application. At the case, developpers are interested in user
space, rather than kernel space.

There's also a merit of gcore that it allows us to use several
userland debugging tools, such as GDB and binutils, in order to
analyze user space memory.

Current Status
==============

I confirm the prototype version runs on the following configuration:

  Linux Kernel Version: 2.6.34
  Supporting Architecture: x86_64
  Crash Version: 5.0.5
  Dump Format: ELF

I'm planning to widen a range of support as follows:

  Linux Kernel Version: Any
  Supporting Architecture: i386, x86_64 and IA64
  Dump Format: Any

Issues
======

Currently, I have issues below.

1) Retrieval of appropriate register values

The prototype version retrieves register values from a _wrong_
location: a top of the kernel stack, into which register values are
saved at any preemption context switch. On the other hand, the
register values that should be included here are the ones saved at
user-to-kernel context switch on any interrupt event.

I've yet to implement this. Specifically, I need to do the following
task from now.

  (1) list all entries from user-space to kernel-space execution path.

  (2) divide the entries according to where and how the register
  values from user-space context are saved.

  (3) compose a program that retrieves the saved register values from
  appropriate locations that is traced by means of (1) and (2).

Ideally, I think it's best if crash library provides any means of
retrieving this kind of register values, that is, ones saved on
various stack frames. Is there such a plan to do?

2) Getting a signal number for a task which was during core dump
process at kernel crash

If a target task is halfway of core dump process, it's better to know
a signal number in order to know why the task was about to be core
dumped.

Unfortunately, I have no choice but backtrace the kernel stack to
retrieve a signal number saved there as an argument of, for example,
do_coredump().

3) Kernel version compatibility

crash's policy is to support all kernel versions by the latest crash
package. On the other hand, the prototype is based on kernel 2.6.34.
This means more kernel versions need to be supported.

Well, the question is: to what versions do I need to really test in
addition to the latest upstream kernel? I think it's practically
enough to support RHEL4, RHEL5 and RHEL6.

Build Instruction
=================

  $ tar xf crash-5.0.5.tar.gz
  $ cd crash-5.0.5/
  $ patch -p 1 < gcore.patch
  $ make

Usage
=====

Use help subcommand of crash utility as ``help gcore''.

Attached File
=============

  * gcore.patch

    A patch implementing gcore subcommand for crash-5.0.5.

    The diffstat output is as follows.

$ diffstat gcore.patch
 Makefile      |   10 +-
 defs.h        |   15 +