[Crash-utility] [RFC] gcore subcommand: a process coredump feature

anderson at prospeed.net anderson at prospeed.net
Mon Aug 2 23:02:23 UTC 2010

> Hello,
>
> For some weeks I've developed gcore subcommand for crash utility which
> provides process coredump feature for crash kernel dump, strongly
> demanded by users who want to investigate user-space applications
> contained in kernel crash dump.
>
> I've now finished making a prototype version of gcore and found out
> what are the issues to be addressed intensely. Could you give me any
> comments and suggestions on this work?

Hello Daisuke,

As I mentioned in my previous email re: cpu numbering, I am currently
on vacation, and cannot spend much time looking at this issue until
I get back on August 9th.

However, I think that this could be a useful feature, and I did
take a quick look at how it could be done several months ago when
it was brought up on this mailing list.  However, as you discovered,
I also noted that the user-space core dump code in the kernel has
undergone significant changes over time, and so the implemetation
by the crash utility would have to adapt to the kernel data structures
used by the various kernel versions.  And because of that, I don't
want to put it into the base crash binary, but rather it should be
maintained as one or more extension modules, which can be located
in the "extensions" subdirectory in the crash source package, as well
as stored in the "extensions" web page link from the crash "people"
web site.

It is quite simple to re-adapt your patch as an extension module.
Check the "snap.c" and "snap.mk" files in the extensions subdirectory
as templates for your "gcore" command.

As to the other questions below, I will get back to you after
August 9th.