[Crash-utility] [RFC] gcore subcommand: a process coredump feature

HATAYAMA Daisuke d.hatayama at jp.fujitsu.com
Tue Aug 3 08:42:49 UTC 2010

From: Adrien Kunysz <adk at redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [Crash-utility] [RFC] gcore subcommand: a process coredump feature
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 09:00:56 +0100

> HATAYAMA Daisuke wrote:
>>> However, I think that this could be a useful feature, and I did
>>> take a quick look at how it could be done several months ago when
>>> it was brought up on this mailing list.  However, as you discovered,
>> I hear for the first time that the same kind of proposal was already
>> proposed previously on this mailing list. I try to find it to compare
>> with mine.
>
> AFAIK many people are interested in this feature and it has been
> discussed before but nobody actually offered a patch until now. Last
> thread I am aware of is this one:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/crash-utility/2010-February/msg00055.html
>
> Admittedly, that thread is just about extracting an userland
> backtrace. Maybe your patch can be adapted to add a "btu" command (or
> maybe "bt -u") to extract an userland backtrace directly?

Oh, thanks. It helps a lot.

If I've understood correctly, crash doesn't prepare any means of
handling symbolic information for user-space processes. In this sense,
I think the ``direct backtrace'' impossible.

On the other hand, if extracting user-space process image, one can use
GDB to see the process's backtrace using GDB's bt sub-command.

But for this, it's important to gather correct register values, in
particular, stack pointer register. But unfortunately, the prototype
I've demonstrated is not complete as I've described in the first
entry.

Thanks.
--
HATAYAMA Daisuke