[Crash-utility] [patch] crash on a KVM-generated dump

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 14:23:16 UTC 2010

----- "Sami Liedes" <sliedes at cc.hut.fi> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 02:48:11PM -0400, Dave Anderson wrote:
> > Can you send me the -d1 output from that dumpfile session with
> > your slirp-patch applied?  Like this:
> >
> >   # crash -d1 vmlinux dumpfile > /tmp/junk
> >   #
>
> Of course. Attached.

OK, I was hoping that perhaps it would show up after the cpu and cpu_common
devices, because if that were the case, we could just bail out on reading
any more devices.

> I also got this on stderr:

> WARNING: Because this kernel was compiled with gcc version 4.4.5, certain
>          commands or command options may fail unless crash is invoked with
>          the  "--readnow" command line option.

That debug message is essentially harmless/useless.  There was a gcc version
in the 3.4.0 timeframe that required the embedded gdb to have --readnow passed
to it in order to gather the required debuginfo data.  It was fixed subsequently,
although I'm not sure in which gcc version.  I should probably at least cap the
message at gcc 4.x.x or something like that.

As far as the slirp device handling, I got this response from Paolo: