[Crash-utility] [patch] crash on a KVM-generated dump

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Oct 18 21:01:39 UTC 2010

----- "Dave Anderson" <anderson at redhat.com> wrote:

> ----- "Sami Liedes" <sliedes at cc.hut.fi> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 02:48:11PM -0400, Dave Anderson wrote:
> > > Can you send me the -d1 output from that dumpfile session with
> > > your slirp-patch applied?  Like this:
> > >
> > >   # crash -d1 vmlinux dumpfile > /tmp/junk
> > >   #
> >
> > Of course. Attached.
>
> OK, I was hoping that perhaps it would show up after the cpu and cpu_common
> devices, because if that were the case, we could just bail out on reading
> any more devices.
>
> As far as the slirp device handling, I got this response from Paolo:
>
> > slirp is not supported on RHEL, so I never encountered it.
> >
> > Looking at QEMU's source code, SLIRP savevm/loadvm is a mess, and 131 is
> > definitely not ok in general because there are several variable-length
> > fields.  Looking at it later.
> >
> > Paolo

Hi Sami,

Can you try the attached patch on your dumpfile containing the "slirp" device?

Given that the crash utility really only cares about the "ram", "cpu" and
"cpu_common" devices, when the patch encounters a device like "slirp" that's
not in the existing devices table, it just skips it and searches for the next
"known" device.