[Crash-utility] Info re: the next release

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 20:06:18 UTC 2011

I know several of you are awaiting anxiously for the next release,
which will be crash version 6.0.0.  I update the major number to
signal a change in the embedded gdb version, which will be rebased
from gdb-7.0 to gdb-7.3.1.  This change is required for kernels
built with gcc-4.6.1, which now defaults to using -gdwarf-4, and the
currently-embedded gdb-7.0 does not support DWARF 4.  If you try to
use the current version of crash on such a vmlinux, it fails
immediately with the message:

 Dwarf Error: wrong version in compilation unit header (is 4, should be 2) [in module vmlinux]"

followed by:

 crash: vmlinux: no debugging data available

I've got the upgrade done, but I'm still working out a few minor kinks
that always seem to happen with a gdb upgrade.

I'll release it as soon as possible.