[Crash-utility] RFE: run crash in "help mode"

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Feb 13 14:23:37 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> Sometimes it is useful to not clutter up my active screen and run
> crash in another window so I can examine "help mod" and type the
> command in the real session.  That, or extract all the help
> text into a .texi doc?  Something, please, anyway....
>
> Thank you!
>
> Regards, Bruce
>
> example usage:
>
> $ crash --help-mode
> crash-help-for>

Bruce,

Here's what's available:

To see a command's help page without invoking a crash session,
use "crash -h" or "--help", as described in the man page:

 $ man crash

 ... [ cut ] ...

     -h [option]
     --help [option]
            Without  an option argument, display a crash usage help message.
            If the option argument is a crash command name,  the  help  page
            for  that  command is displayed.  If it is the string "input", a
            page describing the various crash command line input options  is
            displayed.  If it is the string "output", a page describing com-
            mand line output options is displayed.  After the  help  message
            is displayed, crash exits.

So for the "mod" command:

 $ crash -h mod

 NAME
   mod - module information and loading of symbols and debugging data

 SYNOPSIS
   mod -s module [objfile] | -d module | -S [directory] | -D | -r | -R | -o | -g

 DESCRIPTION
   With no arguments, this command displays basic information of the currently
   installed modules, consisting of the module address, name, size, the
   object file name (if known), and whether the module was compiled with
   CONFIG_KALLSYMS.

And although it's undocumented, you can get a complete dump of all pages
by entering "crash -h all".

Alternatively, if you've got a browser window open, go to the "Builtin Help"
page of the crash whitepaper, and just click on the command you're
interested in:

 http://people.redhat.com/anderson/crash_whitepaper/#HELP

Dave Anderson