[Crash-utility] RFE: run crash in "help mode"

Bruce Korb bruce.korb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 17:01:17 UTC 2012

On 02/13/12 06:23, Dave Anderson wrote:
>       -h [option]
>       --help [option]
>              Without  an option argument, display a crash usage help message.
>              If the option argument is a crash command name,

I've learned how to look without seeing sometimes.  :(  Thanks!
Interactive would be marginally easier, but not enough to make
it worth the effort.

> And although it's undocumented, you can get a complete dump of all pages
> by entering "crash -h all".

That would be a good sentence to add to the "--help" clause.

> Alternatively, if you've got a browser window open, go to the "Builtin Help"
> page of the crash whitepaper, and just click on the command you're
> interested in:
>
>   http://people.redhat.com/anderson/crash_whitepaper/#HELP

_That_ is definitely nice!

Now that I'm futzing with this, another RFE or else "Request for how to really do it":

a "source" command.  In my environment, we've got 16 (yes, *sixteen*) loadable
modules that need to get "mod -s MODNAME /path/to/modname.ko" -ed.
So not being a big fan of typing, my preference would be to:

    mod | script-to-look-for-modules > mod-s-commands
    source mod-s-commands

and presto, my .ko files are loaded.

So, is there an easier way, or is the "source" command reasonable?