[Crash-utility] How to use scripts in crash?

Lei Wen adrian.wenl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 15:11:36 UTC 2012

Hi Bruce,

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:25 AM, Bruce Korb <bruce.korb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> I also notice there is "sial" script support in crash, but that is
>>> too complex for me... I don't know how to start a basic usage with
>>> that... Is there any detailed doc that could help me from a start?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lei
>>
>> I can't help you with sial usage, but there is a ~1000-page README
>> file in crash-6.0.4/extensions/libsial.  And perhaps the sample
>> ps.c and files.c sial scripts from the crash extensions page could
>> be used as templates for your requirements.
>
> There's also pykdump, if you don't mind python.  It is rigged up to be
> able to call back into crash, which sial is not.  It also has better facilities
> for coping with compile time structure variations.  So if you need to learn
> a new language anyway (sial being a new language as it is not C),
> it may as well be python.
>
> Alternatively, you can also write shell scripts that emit crash commands
> into a file that, when sourced, does a bunch of crash commands before
> re-invoking itself.  I finally did that since there is no provision for scripts
> to feed commands back to crash directly.  It works.  It's tricky.  Attached
> is an example that will do approximate "bt"s on threads that were caught
> "on proc" at the time of a crash.  It's my template.

Seem I get no luck to build out the pykdump...
I git clone its tree from:
git://pykdump.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/pykdump/pykdump
After this, I do the ./configure -c <crash build place>
and then make, the following error shows up:
Makefile:24: slocal.mk: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `slocal.mk'.  Stop.

Any idea?
> Cheers - Bruce

Thanks,
Lei