[Crash-utility] 'crash' compilation on Arch fails with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Thu Apr 11 19:34:06 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> Starting from recently Arch uses -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 flag for
> compilation that seems affects latest glibc. This flag causes 'crash
> tool' compilation error on Arch:

I'm not familiar with "Arch", aside from what I can see in the
https://www.archlinux.org web site.  Anyway, I'm guessing that
this may be only the first of a cascading set of these kinds
of warnings when the embedded gdb-7.3.1 is built, since it apparently
stops the build on the first file that generates a warning.  If you're
lucky, maybe it's only a handful?

Anyway, if you cannot turn off the -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 flag, or
set it to 1, for the crash utility build, then it obviously would
require patches for dealing with each complaint.

What version of gdb comes with "Arch"?  Presuming that its version of gdb
also gets built with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2, then perhaps they (GNU) have
dealt with these warnings in a later version of gdb?  Or perhaps the
"Arch" maintainers have patched their version of gdb?  In either case,
you could look at what GNU (or Arch) did with their version of of gdb to
address the warnings in order to come up with a set of patches for the
gdb-7.3.1 used by the crash utility.

If they're not overwhelming, I'll certainly consider taking them in.

Dave