[Crash-utility] Threaded crash tool? Is it time?

HATAYAMA Daisuke d.hatayama at jp.fujitsu.com
Fri Apr 12 07:20:53 UTC 2013

(2013/04/12 9:24), James Washer wrote:
> Machines are getting ever bigger. I routinely look at crash dumps from
> systems with 2TB  or more of memory. I'm finding I'm wasting too much
> time waiting on crash to complete a command. For example "kmem -s" took
> close to an hour on the dump I'm looking at now.
>
> Has anyone ever looked into mutli-threading crash? Given the kmem -s
> example above, a thread could be created for each cache (up to some
> defined limit of threads).
>
> Things like "foreach" could spawn threads. I'm sure there are lots of
> other opportunities.
>
> Yes, I know, it's open source, I should just go do it myself. Still, I'd
> like to hear pro's and con's on this idea.

FYI. Some performance improvement work for kmem -s and kmem -p was done
on v6.0.3. If you are using crash utility older than 6.0.3, using latest
version might be enough for you.

 From ChangeLog:

6.0.3    - Fix to gdb-7.3.1/bfd/bfdio.c to properly zero out a complete
            struct stat with a corrected memset argument; caught when
            compiling with the Clang Static Analyzer.
            (idoenmez at suse.de)
<cut>
          - Significant speed increase of the "kmem -p" command,
            especially on large-memory systems.
            (qiaonuohan at cn.fujitsu.com)
<cut>
          - Performance increase for the "kmem -s <address>" option on
            kernels configured with CONFIG_SLAB, most notably on kernels
            whose kmem_cache.array[NR_CPUS] array is several pages in
            size.
            (qiaonuohan at cn.fujitsu.com)

--
Thanks.