[Crash-utility] Threaded crash tool? Is it time?

James Washer washer at trlp.com
Fri Apr 12 00:24:56 UTC 2013

Machines are getting ever bigger. I routinely look at crash dumps from
systems with 2TB  or more of memory. I'm finding I'm wasting too much time
waiting on crash to complete a command. For example "kmem -s" took close to
an hour on the dump I'm looking at now.

Has anyone ever looked into mutli-threading crash? Given the kmem -s
example above, a thread could be created for each cache (up to some defined
limit of threads).

Things like "foreach" could spawn threads. I'm sure there are lots of other
opportunities.

Yes, I know, it's open source, I should just go do it myself. Still, I'd
like to hear pro's and con's on this idea.

--

 - jim