[Crash-utility] Source code formatting cleanups

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Wed Aug 28 13:35:17 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hi, Dave
>
> Reading through the 'crash' source code I found that it uses different styles
> across codebase. I went ahead and fixed the most common formatting problems.
> The changes can be found here
>
> https://github.com/anatol/crash
>
> Here is the list of cleanups. Most of them are self descriptive:
>
> 21da621 Indent the code using GNU indent tool
> 8b9c671 Replace leading spaces with tabs
> 9ce66d8 Remove trailing whitespaces
> f67b4c3 Fix misspellings using codespell tool
> 92fc952 Convert Windows EOL to Unix one using 'dos2unix' tool
>

> Feel free to pick any of them. Actually most of the changes (except the
> codespell one) are fully automatic and can be rerun on your local machine.
> And "Replace leading spaces with tabs" is not strictly needed as "indent"
> change will do the same, I just kept them separate if you want to pick only
> one of the changes.

Anatol,

First let me say that I appreciate the effort, but I have long
since avoided such all-encompassing, massive, patches such as
these that do not address functionality.  And in several instances,
I don't agree with what they are accomplishing.

It also makes the cherry-picking of patches unnecessarily
annoying when applying them to unpatched earlier versions,
such as is the case when applying them to earlier RHEL
versions for errata releases.

For examples, I not interested in patch "21da621 - Indent the code
using GNU indent tool" because traditionally crash source code
lines have been purposefully restricted to 80 characters or less
whenever possible, and this tool undoes that.  Secondly, the return
type and function name prototypes are purposely put on separate
lines for ease of searching for the location of a function when
its at the beginning of a line.  In fact, when I get patches that
do put the return type and function name on the same line, I manually
change them.

The patch "8b9c671 Replace leading spaces with tabs" does address
many inadvertant lines beginning with 8 spaces, it also modifies
modify many instances of purposely-placed spaces.

The patch "f67b4c3 Fix misspellings using codespell tool" does
address a number of misspellings, but I'm primarily only
interested in the fixes to the help.c patch, because it actually
addresses user-facing output.  Thanks for that one!

Granted, it would have been ideal if these changes were put
in place long ago, but at this point, the crash utility is for
the most part in maintenance mode, and making massive changes
where pretty much every file in the crash source tree gets modified
significantly can make future maintenance chores more difficult.

And quite frankly, just keeping the crash utility working with
the constantly-changing kernel gives us enough fish to fry.
And that being said, I'm very grateful to have your interest,
and your already impactful contributions to the ongoing
crash maintenance chores.