[Crash-utility] kernel module parsing failure - mips

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Sat Dec 3 03:45:31 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----
> Hi Dave,
>
> With 7.1.7, crash is working for MIPS when all drivers are embedded
> inside kernel.
> When I make the driver loadable and panic the kernel, crash doesn't
> locate some symbols correctly.
>
> please wait... (gathering module symbol data)
> crash: invalid size request: 0  type: "pgd page"
>
> debugged further and find  that PGD_ORDER provides incorrect number
> due to which the PGD_SIZE macro results in 0.
>
> Just for fun, I replaced PGD_ORDER with 0(I know its incorrect) and it
> went ahead but couldn't run "mod" command successfully as it threw
> following error
>
> crash> mod
> mod: cannot access vmalloc'd module memory
>
> Any idea?

Clearly it's failing to translate any kernel virtual address that is
not unity-mapped.  I have 3 sample 3.19-based MIPS vmcores on hand,
and crash-7.1.7 can translate both mapped user-space and vmalloc'd module
addresses.  But I am completely unfamiliar with the particulars of the MIPS
architecture.  MIPS support in the crash utility was written by, and its
maintenance is done by, Rabin Vincent.  He is a member of this list, but
just in case he missed your post, I've cc'd this message to both of his
registered email addresses.

Dave