[Crash-utility] crash: page excluded: kernel virtual address: ffffffff81e3da50 type: "page_offset_base"

Cao jin caoj.fnst at cn.fujitsu.com
Mon Nov 27 09:26:13 UTC 2017

On 11/23/2017 10:03 PM, Dave Anderson wrote:
>> Hi Dave,
>>   Because I didn't subscribe the list, so please CC me when reply:) My
>> colleague help to forward your reply to me, so I decide to reply
>> directly in order to keep this mail in the thread other than new a thread.
>>
>> On 11/23/2017 02:04 PM, Fei, Jie/费 杰 wrote:

[snip]

> OK, so you seem to be describing two issues:
>
>  (1) With KASLR enabled, the vmcore cannot be read by either
>      Fedora's 7.2.0-1 or upstream 7.2.0++.
>  (2) With KASLR disabled, the vmcore can be read by Fedora's
>      7.2.0-1, but cannot be read by 7.2.0++,

Yes, you give a good summary, but it is Fedora 26's 7.1.9.1(I did the
test in Fedora 26-4.13.10-200.fc26.x86_64 a weeks ago, now upgrade to
27, and the fedora crash version now is 7.1.9.3), not 7.2.0-1.

Now I have upgraded to Fedora 27, I have 2 kernels:
1. fedora kernel is 4.13.13-300.fc27.x86_64
2. kernel 4.14.0 compiled from source.

and 2 crash tool:
1. Fedora's 7.1.9.3
2. 7.2.0++ compiled from source

> When you run crash on the live system, what happens when:
>
>  (1) KASLR is enabled, running Fedora's 7.2.0-1
>  (2) KASLR is enabled, running upstream 7.2.0++
>  (2) KASLR is disabled, running Fedora's 7.2.0-1
>  (3) KASLR is disabled, running upstream 7.2.0++
>
> I don't see anything unusual in the output above, presuming the
> the phys_base of 0 is correct.  When you run crash on the live
> system, what is the output of "help -m | grep phys_base">

During my test recent days, I find some new interesting things:
sometimes the vmcore file is exceptional small, like about 500k, while
in normal condition, it is about 2G(machine has 4G memory). I confirmed
the following facts with tests:

  1. kernel 4.14.0: without nokaslr, vmcore's size looks ok, about 2G
  2. kernel 4.14.0: with nokaslr, vmcore's size looks wrong, about 500k

So I am not sure some of my previous tests are reliable.

I will do a new round test, and capture the -d8 out in both
condition(live system & dump file)

BTW, I think the fedora version crash tool should works well with fedora
kernel? But in my test, crash 7.1.9.3 & 4.13.13-300.fc27.x86_64, crash
report:

  crash: cannot resolve "init_level4_pgt"

which is said is solved in crash 7.2.0

> I need to compare the crash -d8 output above with the same
> crash -d8 output from the working session using the same
> KASLR disabled vmcore, showing at least up until the point that
> it does the readmem of "page_offset_base" above?
>
> Also, if you can make the 2 vmcores available, please send me
> the details of how to download them in a private email to
> anderson at redhat.com or anderson at prospeed.net.  If you have
> modified/rebuilt the Fedora kernel, I would also need a copy
> of the vmlinux file as well.

Thanks very much, Dave, I will give you feedback after I have done the
new round test.  If you have any suggestion for test, also please tell me:)

--
Sincerely,
Cao jin