[Crash-utility] Using crash with structure layout randomized kernel

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Tue Jan 23 15:19:46 UTC 2018

----- Original Message -----
> Hi Dave,
>
>     Recently I was trying crash tool with kdump dumpfile & structure
> layout randomized kernel[*](), and it fails without any surprise. After
> looking into the different errors crash reports, I can confirm it is a
> result from randomized structure layout.
>
> So my questions is, do you ever consider supporting this feature[*] in
> crash?
>   If yes, do you have any plan & technique evaluation about it?
>   If no, what's the reason?
>
> [*]https://lwn.net/Articles/722293/
> --
> Sincerely,
> Cao jin

I was under the impression that the structure layout was done at
compile-time, and that the vmlinux file's debuginfo data would
represent the randomized layout.  And that being the case, the
inconvenience would be that the crash session would show the
randomized layout, while the associated source code would show
the original layout.

You didn't give any examples of how/what fails.  Is it a major problem
where fundamental facilities like MEMBER_OFFSET() no longer work?
Or are there places where assumptions are made w/regard to structure
layout without checking the debuginfo data?

Anyway, the answer to your question is no, currently I have no plans.