[Crash-utility] Suggestion: Testing of crash patches before submissions

HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) k-hagio-ab at nec.com
Fri Aug 14 08:26:30 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
> Hi all,
>
> Recently I found a regression and also in the past have seen other
> regressions.  I am not sure what tests are currently run or expected
> for patches.
>
> Since this project has transitioned away from the original author, and
> there are many contributors, it may be more important to have some
> tests in the project, especially for trickier areas, uncommon options,
> and unique vmcores.  There are also numerous ways to validate patches
> in a CI system now.  I started building one but then realized it
> probably should be done inside the upstream project if possible.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm interested :)

As far as I know, he had tested patches with hundreds of vmcores, and
Lianbo and Bhupesh can use them, but seems it doesn't have a test of
the --minimal option.

I also test patches with my test script, which has many commands and its
options fairly comprehensively, executes non-patched crash and patched
crash, measures elapsed time, and compare the outputs.  But it also doesn't
have --minimal test.  I will add it to my test.. and check out CI systems.

Thanks,
Kazu