[Crash-utility] git repositories for gcore/trace commands under crash-utility project

HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) k-hagio-ab at nec.com
Fri Dec 25 00:55:54 UTC 2020

Hi Hatayama-san, Bhupesh, Lianbo,

-----Original Message-----
> Hagio-san,
>
> I'm now preparing for providing crash-gcore-command and
> crash-trace-command packages in Fedora, which has been provided in
> RHEL only so far.
>
> Relevant to that, I'd like to talk about extensions/trace.c about
> maintaining it in another independent git repository. Is it possible?
> Having independent repository is useful to control versions between
> upstream's and distribution's.

I think it would be better.

But the official maintainer doesn't respond for some time.
If we make it independent, I don't want to leave it unclear.
Do you mean that Fujitsu folks will maintain the trace.c? :)

> I'm now also attempting to put the git repository for crash gcore
> command in public, that has been managed locally in our company in
> private. Is it possible to move it under crash utility project,
> https://github.com/crash-utility, like crash-utility/gcore or
> crash-utility/extension-gcore?

Hmm, what are the merits of having the gcore repository?

Bhupesh, Lianbo, what do you think?
If we have an extension repository in the crash utility project,
I think we should decide first what kind of extensions we have.
Because probably we cannot accept all extensions that want to
come in.  If we have one and its maintainer becomes unresponsive
like trace.c, what will happen?

maybe needless concern?

Thanks,
Kazu