[Crash-utility] git repositories for gcore/trace commands under crash-utility project

lijiang lijiang at redhat.com
Sat Dec 26 08:08:58 UTC 2020

在 2020年12月25日 08:55, HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) 写道:
> Hi Hatayama-san, Bhupesh, Lianbo,

This should be good to maintain it in another git repository separately.

>> Having independent repository is useful to control versions between
>> upstream's and distribution's.

Seems doable. For example:

[1] In the distribution, when build a rpm package, it also can build several
related subpackages at the same time. The crash extension modules can be put
into the distribution for crash-utility as subpackages. But do not add them
into the crash-utility in upstream.

[2] When backport a patch from upstream to distribution, people can easily find
out the commit from upstream git repository and apply it to distribution, no need
to update the tarball.

It is convenient to maintain the git repository in upstream and also for distribution.

> I think it would be better.
>
> But the official maintainer doesn't respond for some time.
> If we make it independent, I don't want to leave it unclear.
> Do you mean that Fujitsu folks will maintain the trace.c? :)

Sound good.

>> I'm now also attempting to put the git repository for crash gcore
>> command in public, that has been managed locally in our company in
>> private. Is it possible to move it under crash utility project,
>> https://github.com/crash-utility, like crash-utility/gcore or
>> crash-utility/extension-gcore?

I would not recommend moving it under crash utility project, and probably
the additional extension modules won't be accepted any more in the future.

> Hmm, what are the merits of having the gcore repository?

It is easier to maintain the source code than the tarball. And this is also
helpful to the distribution.

> Bhupesh, Lianbo, what do you think?

Please see above input. Thanks.

Lianbo