[dm-devel] lvcreate (snapshot) under kernel 2.6.1

Kevin Corry kevcorry at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 14 10:01:02 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 01:26, Christian Robert wrote:
> Apparently lvm2 "snapshot" is not working on out of the box on 2.6.1 kernel
> or I may have missed a step somewhere. (I'm used to lvm1 under 2.4 kernels)
>
> I would appreciate if someone can help me with this, I really want snapshot
> working.
>
> ps:  is "ioctl interface version 4" required/suitable or not in the 2.6.1
> kernel config ?

The dm-snapshot code is not yet included in the main 2.6 kernel. You can get
Joe's latest patchet at
http://people.sistina.com/~thornber/dm/patches/2.6-unstable/2.6.0/2.6.0-udm3.tar.bz2
which contains snapshot code for 2.6 (among other things). This snapshot
module is still considered to be in-development, but there have been
successful reports from people using it.

As for the ioctl interface, you should leave the "version 4" turned on, since
that is the default now. The older ioctl versions are only for older tools
that don't understand the new interface. Any recent tools will understand
version 4.

--
Kevin Corry
kevcorry at us.ibm.com