[dm-devel] lvcreate (snapshot) under kernel 2.6.1

Christian Robert christian.robert at polymtl.ca
Thu Jan 15 00:35:02 UTC 2004

Kevin Corry wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 January 2004 01:26, Christian Robert wrote:
> > Apparently lvm2 "snapshot" is not working on out of the box on 2.6.1 kernel
> > or I may have missed a step somewhere. (I'm used to lvm1 under 2.4 kernels)
> >
> > I would appreciate if someone can help me with this, I really want snapshot
> > working.
> >
> > ps:  is "ioctl interface version 4" required/suitable or not in the 2.6.1
> > kernel config ?
>
> The dm-snapshot code is not yet included in the main 2.6 kernel. You can get
> Joe's latest patchet at
> http://people.sistina.com/~thornber/dm/patches/2.6-unstable/2.6.0/2.6.0-udm3.tar.bz2
> which contains snapshot code for 2.6 (among other things). This snapshot
> module is still considered to be in-development, but there have been
> successful reports from people using it.

well, I did patch my 2.6.1 kernel with 00003.patch to 00057.patch (omitting 0000{1,2}.patch
because they gave an error (already patched, revert [y/n] for every patched files,
I assumed they are already applyed in 2.6.1)

after reboot I can succesfully create/delete snapshot filesystems but unfortunately
as soon as I write to the original I get several thousand reiserfs errors in my syslog
telling access beyong extend of device ...  and all problems related to that (eg: reformat)

So, I reverted back to stock 2.6.1, and I will wait until target snapshot is included
in 2.6.* kernels before I try it again. My snapshot need is not "absolutely required"
but would have been a bonus (in fact I installed 2.6.1 for exactly «the fast and efficient
snapshot of lvm2» compared to the lvm1 one I heard here and there).

thanks a lot for your kind help

see you,
Xtian.

> As for the ioctl interface, you should leave the "version 4" turned on, since
> that is the default now. The older ioctl versions are only for older tools
> that don't understand the new interface. Any recent tools will understand
> version 4.

thanks again, it's now obvious for me.

> --
> Kevin Corry
> kevcorry at us.ibm.com
> http://evms.sourceforge.net/

Mélanger ensemble une quantité de temps et la même
quantité de hasard et vous obtiendrez un univers.