[dm-devel] RE: Is there a grand plan for FC failover?

Smart, James James.Smart at Emulex.com
Fri Jan 30 15:09:19 UTC 2004

I view port as a part of the path. I may have been a little loose on my
terms. I am describing paths that enter different ports on the device - not
the paths through the same port that you describe. Could be 1 adapter to a
switch with 2 switch connections to 2 ports on the target; or 2 adapters,
each with an independent path to a different port on the device.

Relative to a single port on the device - I agree with you. Simple
reservations only allow one initiator access. With multiple ports on the
device, each which may be on different and independent "bus", simple
reservation isn't sufficient.  (yes - I'm using "bus" loosely - it may be an
independent Parallel SCSI bus, or a independent fabric/zone, etc).

-- James