[dm-devel] RE: Is there a grand plan for FC failover?

Smart, James James.Smart at Emulex.com
Fri Jan 30 15:09:22 UTC 2004

I agree with what's here. Some of my concern did come from trying to support
older SCSI-2 devices, or some of those implementations before Persistent
Reserve finally settled to where it is now, and how you actually detect the
different rev/behaviors.

IMO - After addressing the semantics of the reservations types and how to
identify what's what(which is all SCSI-based) - why isn't this in the scsi
layer ? Pushing this up a level to a transport agnostic layer seems to just
impose more behaviors on that layer, and create a bunch of new interfaces
for what SCSI could already know/do. Also, when considering the timing
constraints and ownership issues pushing this to user land doesn't seem
right either.

-- James S