[dm-devel] multipath-tools-0.3.2

christophe.varoqui at free.fr christophe.varoqui at free.fr
Tue Oct 19 22:28:46 UTC 2004

> I think it'd be useful to have a makefile switch which disabled use of
> the shipped libs in favour of those installed on the system.
>
> Would you be in favour of such a patch...?

Not unless you convince me ..

> It's really quite a pain to keep all that in sync and I wonder why you
> ship libdevmapper, libsys and klibc instead of requiring them to be
> installed in the first place?

Easy :

1) klibc is not packaged by any distro at the moment, neither it is in
the kernel tarball.

2) I was kindly asked by hpa to keep the klibc support, for integration
into initramfs.

1+2) I keep a klibc drop in the multipath-tools tarball

3) libsysfs broke compatibility with klibc when it started using "struct
mntent", so I keep a frozen fork in the tarball.

4) libdevmapper has trivial compilation problems with klibc, which will
eventually resolve, but for now ...

5) compiling most of the tools against klibc and multipathd against
glibc is asking for headaches, but I did go that way.

So what do you suggest ? drop klibc support ?

regards,
--
christophe varoqui <christophe.varoqui at free.fr>