[dm-devel] Weird discrepancy between /dev/mapper/* and /dev/dm-* devices breaks lilo

Loïc Minier lool+redhat at via.ecp.fr
Wed Jan 31 15:54:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> Some distributions chose to configure udev to create /dev/dm-N inodes where
> N is the minor number.  (I have always discouraged that as a recipe for
> confusion: I believe that using configurable names is a better approach.)

 I seem to recall even RedHat or Fedora attempted to add these devices,
 but I suppose you know best.  The reasons why these were added in udev
 in Debian and Ubuntu are mentionned in http://bugs.debian.org/392623,
 but in short gnome-mount required this to work; perhaps this should be
 fixed in gnome-mount.  The details are in a comment of #401393 though:
  <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=401393;msg=37>

 (attaching the patch I mentionned in the preceding mail but forgot,
 sorry)

--
Loïc Minier <lool at dooz.org>