[dm-devel] Weird discrepancy between /dev/mapper/* and /dev/dm-* devices breaks lilo

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Wed Jan 31 20:10:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 04:54:29PM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 31, 2007, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
>> Some distributions chose to configure udev to create /dev/dm-N inodes where
>> N is the minor number.  (I have always discouraged that as a recipe for
>> confusion: I believe that using configurable names is a better approach.)

i tend to agree with Alasdair on the above point

> I seem to recall even RedHat or Fedora attempted to add these devices,
> but I suppose you know best.  The reasons why these were added in udev
> in Debian and Ubuntu are mentionned in http://bugs.debian.org/392623,
> but in short gnome-mount required this to work; perhaps this should be
> fixed in gnome-mount.  The details are in a comment of #401393 though:
>  <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=401393;msg=37>

I also looked at the patch to support LUKS into hal and i tought it was
badly written (forgot the gory details)

> (attaching the patch I mentionned in the preceding mail but forgot,
> sorry)

in any case i lost the argument, so i think that i will use your patch,
at least until grub2 gets support for the eye-candy gfxboot, then i hope
to toss lilo into oblivion.

Thanks for providing the patch,
L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it