[dm-devel] online disk resizing

Hannes Reinecke hare at suse.de
Thu Jul 5 07:33:44 UTC 2007

Roland Mieslinger wrote:
> I did the same with HP MSA in the past, but without dm involved.
>
> You can use "blockdev --rereadpt <blockdevice>" to make the the kernel
> recognise the new disk size (geometery). The nasty thing is that you
> have to stop all I/O to the blocdevice.

You've not only to stop all I/O, but also have to make sure that on-one
claims the device (ie no open files, not mounted, no device-mapper tables
etc.). Otherwise will the kernel reject any size updates.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare at suse.de			      +49 911 74053 688
GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)