[dm-devel] Question about dmevents

Jonathan Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Tue Jul 17 14:04:02 UTC 2007

LVM mirroring is indeed one of the targets that makes use of this
facility.

The device-mapper code base is the place to find the daemon (device-
mapper/dmeventd).  This daemon resides in userspace waiting for
events on devices that are being monitored (aka registered).  When an
event is received from the kernel, it is passed to a registered
shared library.  LVM2/dmeventd/mirror contains the dynamic shared
object that handles mirror events.  (The important functions being
'register', 'unregister', and 'process_event').

  brassow