[dm-devel] NIC and HBA based multipathing

Mike Christie michaelc at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 15 18:44:46 UTC 2007

Scott Moseman wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2007 10:52 AM, Scott Moseman <scmoseman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> # ls -l /dev/sd* | grep -v sda
>>> brw-------  1 root root 8, 16 Nov  7 14:43 /dev/sdb
>>> brw-rw----  1 root disk 8, 17 Nov  7 14:43 /dev/sdb1
>>> brw-rw----  1 root disk 8, 33 Nov  7 14:45 /dev/sdc1
>> I can use 'mknod sdc b 8 32' to generate a new /dev/sdc, which I can
>> fdisk and the data looks good, but once I reboot the /dev/sdc device
>> is once again removed (or not re-created, whichever the case may be).
>>

> Does anyone know why the /dev/sdc device might not get created on
> boot?  Is this something that the iSCSI initiator should handle?  The

The iscsi initiator is not responsible for creating device nodes. If you
see this:

SCSI device sdb: 8417280 512-byte hdwr sectors (4310 MB)
SCSI device sdb: drive cache: write through
  sdb: sdb1
Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 1, lun 0

then the initiator and scsi layer have done everything they can.

> operating system?

It seems like a udev problem, but I do not know for sure.