[dm-devel] NIC and HBA based multipathing

Mike Anderson andmike at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Nov 15 19:16:38 UTC 2007

Mike Christie <michaelc at cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Scott Moseman wrote:
> >>I can use 'mknod sdc b 8 32' to generate a new /dev/sdc, which I can
> >>fdisk and the data looks good, but once I reboot the /dev/sdc device
> >>is once again removed (or not re-created, whichever the case may be).
> >>

> >Does anyone know why the /dev/sdc device might not get created on
> >boot?  Is this something that the iSCSI initiator should handle?  The
>
> The iscsi initiator is not responsible for creating device nodes. If you
> see this:
>
> SCSI device sdb: 8417280 512-byte hdwr sectors (4310 MB)
> SCSI device sdb: drive cache: write through
>  sdb: sdb1
> Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
>
> then the initiator and scsi layer have done everything they can.
>
> >operating system?
>
> It seems like a udev problem, but I do not know for sure.

I would agree that we should look to see what udev is doing when it
receives the events.

Since I believe this is failing on a RHEL4 sytem we cannot use
udevmonitor. If you unload the iSCSI module, edit /etc/udev/udev.conf to
set udev_log="yes", and then load the module again you should get some info
in /var/log/message on what udev is doing.

-andmike
--
Michael Anderson
andmike at linux.vnet.ibm.com