[dm-devel] multibus / failover and EMC CX600

Hannes Reinecke hare at suse.de
Thu Oct 18 06:19:07 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 08:04:12PM +0200, Gerald Nowitzky wrote:
> I'm afraid the patch did not work for me. I'ts still the same.
>
> I am using kernel 2.6.22.2 at the moment. Should I upgrade to 2.6.23 ?
>
> Anybody any Ideas?
> The system is not in production at the moment. We could do some testing.

Well, yes. By the looks of if the problem is with multipathing still holding
references to the stale devices.
IE after dev_loss_tmo kicks in, the devices are removed from sysfs.
But multipathing does _not_ update it's device-mapper tables (that's why
you see all the '#' in the output), so there's still a refence on the
removed device and the in-kernel resources can't be freed.

So when the device is re-registered, you're getting this Oops.

Try to update the multipath information by running 'multipath' after the
devices have been removed. Once the '#' in the output are gone, you can
savely re-add the devices.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare at suse.de			      +49 911 74053 688