[dm-devel] Re: dm targets with spaces in the name

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Fri Dec 5 17:08:49 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 11:58:30AM -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
> Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> >I can't guarantee that names with spaces in them have had much testing
> >as LVM doesn't permit them.  But device-mapper itself and dmsetup
> >are supposed to support them.
> But if you run dmsetup and key in a table referencing a device with a
> space in the name, that is what happens; linear_ctr gets passed
> "/dev/foo bar" as the path argv.

which is a bug as per what I stated above, if true.

dmsetup knows nothing about the format of the table line - it's a simple
string - and should not be interfering with it: a backslash+space (after any
shell escaping) should get handled consistently, passed through to the target
and should work.

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com