[dm-devel] Re: dm targets with spaces in the name

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Mon Dec 8 20:31:44 UTC 2008

Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> which is a bug as per what I stated above, if true.
>
> dmsetup knows nothing about the format of the table line - it's a simple
> string - and should not be interfering with it: a backslash+space (after any
> shell escaping) should get handled consistently, passed through to the target
> and should work.

Nevermind, I must have made a typeo before because now the kernel
accepts targets with spaces in the name just fine, as long as they are
properly backslash escaped.

Heinz, you mentioned that dmraid should just not be using names with
spaces in them.  My first thought was to fix dmraid to backslash escape
the spaces, but you seem to have another idea in mind?