[dm-devel] Multipath and getuid_callout issues with HPXP1024diskarray

Greene, Rick rick.greene at ncogroup.com
Thu Feb 7 12:27:48 UTC 2008

I finally got a support call going with HP, and here's the "official"
resolution:

The XP1024 disk array has to be at a certain firmware version for the
required system modes of 140 and 293 to be available to be turned on.
Additionally, HP states that the configuration is only "blessed" for
certain versions of Red Hat, HBA cards, and drivers.  Oh, one other
thing...you have to load their version of DMM, not the standard version
that comes with RedHat or downloading and compiling your own version.
Their version currently doesn't have the patch for the longer strings in
getuid_callout.

By going to www.hp.com and putting in "device mapper multipath" in the
search box, you should find a link to "Device Mapper Multipath
Enablement Kit for HP StorageWorks Disk Arrays Installation and
Reference Guide", a PDF document which details everything.  Don't want
to quote it here as it'll likely change over time.

After working with a fairly knowledgeable person at HP, my solution is
to use a custom script that parses output from the unsupported "xpinfo"
command from HP to pull out the CU:LDev value of the devices and feed
that back into multipath.

Works fine, except for an odd issue at reboot times, for which I've got
a separate unanswered query out to this list.

Thanks to Malahal, Vijayakumar Balasubramanian, and Luca Berra for their

Rick