[dm-devel] /dev/sdaa /dev/sdab ... not recognized as valid paths?

Sebastian Reitenbach sebastia at l00-bugdead-prods.de
Wed Jan 14 07:42:30 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 08:33:38 am Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I do present 8 luns to the cluster. For each lun there are 4 ways through
> > the SAN that can be used. Therefore I have devices like /dev/sdaa
> > /dev/sdab and so on. The output of multipath -ll shows some disks with 4
> > paths, some with three, some only with two. In the output of multipath
> > -ll only disks with three letters are shown e.g. /dev/sda.
> > when I run e.g. /sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/sdaa, then it outputs one
> > of the configured ID's that I already have in /etc/multipath.conf.
> >
> > How can I add these disks to the multipath failover?
> >
> > I'm on SLES10 sp2.
>
> Have you enabled udev?
> No, it's not on by default. Don't ask.
yes, udevd runs:
service boot.udev status
Checking for udevd:                                                   running

Here the beginning of my /etc/multipath.conf file:
defaults {
        udev_dir        /dev
        path_grouping_policy    multibus
        getuid_callout  "/sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/%n"
        prio    "alua"
        user_friendly_names yes

        default_features        "0"
}
blacklist {
        devnode "^(ram|raw|loop|fd|md|dm-|sr|scd|st)[0-9]*|sda"
}
multipaths {
        multipath {
        }
}

this version of the multipath tools is installed: multipath-tools-0.4.7-34.40

regards
Sebastian