[dm-devel] Could device-mapper offer multi-tier storage?

Ty! Boyack ty at nrel.colostate.edu
Wed Jan 14 19:43:31 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm seeing a good bit of interest in multi-tier storage in high end
systems, and was wondering if this functionality could be offered by
device-mapper.

By multi-tier, I'm speaking of systems where various speed/quality
storage units are used in an analogous way to the way cache is used for
memory:  The most recently/often used data blocks are placed on the
fastest storage device, then over time gets flushed out to slower
systems.  It seems the trend is to use a smaller array of 15k rpm SAS
drives as the first tier, then flush it out to much larger arrays of
7200 rpm SATA drives as the second tier.

While this clearly has benefits in large systems, I would think the same
concept could be brought in-box as well, by using a fast 15k or solid
state drive as the first tier, and then pushing out to 7200 rpm SATA as
a second tier.

My interest is more in the large system side, but if this functionality
was available and easy to use, I could see it getting wide adoption in
smaller systems too -- just as RAID was once limited to big systems,
this could be a cool technology to make available to all.

So the questions:

1)  Is device-mapper the right layer to look at applying this?

2)  If so, any ideas on how hard it would be to implement?

3)  If device-mapper is not the right place, any idea where this
functionality should go, or if it is already out there in another form?

Thanks -- I would love to hear any thoughts or questions on this.

-Ty!

--
  Ty! Boyack
  ty at nrel.colostate.edu