[dm-devel] dm: Integrity errors should not cause failover

Martin K. Petersen martin.petersen at oracle.com
Wed May 25 15:04:58 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Mike" == Mike Snitzer <snitzer at redhat.com> writes:

Mike,

Mike> Alasdair and I just chatted about this patch: it will always pass
Mike> the the -EILSEQ up _without_ performing any mpath path failure.

Correct.

Mike> The newfound concern is: is there ever a benefit to failing the
Mike> path before returning -EILSEQ?

No, never.

Mike> Or will -EILSEQ always imply there is nothing wrong with the path?
Mike> E.g. a transport error cannot cause a CRC error -- the transport
Mike> error is always trapped by SCSI and cannot result in continued
Mike> processing of an IO (that goes on to have CRC error)?

-EILSEQ is only returned if a discrepancy is detected between data and
protection information. In both cases the block in question was
successfully received by either initiator or target. I.e. the path is
working fine.