[dm-devel] Bcache upstreaming

Kent Overstreet koverstreet at google.com
Fri Feb 1 16:15:47 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 08:08:20AM -0800, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 07:33:18AM -0800, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> > Could add a new, fixed version that doesn't do the refcounting, bcache
> > and I imagine md could use that right away (maybe even just split the
> > refcounting out into different functions and have dm call those
> > directly, probably an easy way to refactor it anyways)
>
> I don't know.  We then would have two interfaces doing about the same
> thing and a flag indicating whether the new or old one was used to
> create the link so that exclusive close can decide to remove it or
> not, which seems a bit complicated.

Eww, not a flag. I meant a completely separate functions, rip out the
refcounting entirely and have the refcounting-manipulating versions
available as

bd_link_disk_holder_broken()
bd_unlink_disk_holder_broken()

or somesuch.

> Let's see whether Mike can remove
> the weirdness from dm side.

That'd be best, but if it can't happen right away it's just a way to
isolate the weirdness.