[dm-devel] [RFC] writeboost: rename "migration" to "writeback"

Satoru Takeuchi satoru.takeuchi at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 08:42:48 UTC 2014

Hi Akira, Joe, and all.

Recently I've used dm-writeboost a bit. I have an opinion about the
naming of migration. Writeboost call writeback from cache device to backing
device "migration" as Akira said in the following his document.

https://github.com/akiradeveloper/dm-writeboost/blob/develop/doc/writeboost.txt
===
(2) Migrate Daemon
This daemon writes back the dirty data on the cache device to the backing
device. Writeboost calls writeback "Migration".
===

However, I consier "writeback" is far straightforward word than "migration"
here for most people. Since such renaming makes the usability (migration is
visible to user) and code readability, it should be avoided without special
reason.

How about re-renaming "migration" to more straightforward "writeback"?
If you agree with this idea, I'll write a patch to fix it for kernel and
device-mapper-test-suite.

Thanks,
Satoru