[dm-devel] 3.12.y: srcu warning during free_dev() with dm-multipath

Sebastian Parschauer sebastian.riemer at profitbricks.com
Mon Jun 22 12:22:54 UTC 2015

On 22.06.2015 12:25, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> Dne 22.6.2015 v 10:55 Sebastian Parschauer napsal(a):
>> Really, no response? Again?
>>
>> Why doesn't that surprise me if sending a bug report to Red Hat not
>> using their kernel,... Thanks a lot! So this is how discrimination feels
>> like,...
>>

> Have you checked your problem exists in the latest upstream kernel ?

It likely doesn't. I can't roll out the latest greatest unstable
upstream kernel into a public IaaS cloud where I can see the problem
from time to time but in a test environment it's more difficult to
reproduce. We also have custom code running in different unrelated parts
which would have to be adapted.

> If you are resolving issue with kernel 3.12 -  it's likely a thing for
> your distribution and its maintenance support?

We are our own distribution. So I'm just the distribution maintainer
asking the authors of a patch if that one could be related instead of
doing reverse engineering. Maintainers should have a feeling for their
code and also care for important fixes so that these find their way into
the stable trees - no matter which distribution.

Maybe that's the difference between homebrew FOSS and commercial FOSS.
But there are upstream kernel maintainers who do care for linux-stable.
I'd like to mention md maintainer Neil Brown here.

> Upstream (and this is upstream ml) is close to release 4.1 kernel - so
> you are fixing couple years old issue? What kind of action do you expect ?

Just a hint at which patches to look at.

You maintain a 3.10 kernel for RHEL 7. That one is also old and not
latest upstream.

I'll try the patch.

Cheers,
Sebastian