[dm-devel] Improve processing efficiency for addition and deletion of multipath devices

Benjamin Marzinski bmarzins at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 18:19:03 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 09:30:57AM +0100, Martin Wilck wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-11-18 at 16:24 +0800, tang.junhui at zte.com.cn wrote:
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > In your case, my action is:
> > 1) merger uevents 1) 2) to one uevent "add sda sdb", and process them
> > togother
>
> This will fail because sdb is non-existent at the time you try - no?

Yes. If we get a cluster of events for a device, and the last event is a
remove event, we don't need to precess them. Just like you mention,
after that remove event is sent by udev, the device is gone.  There is
nothing that multipathd could do with it even if it wanted to. So there
is no point in trying the add and change event processing, since we
already know that they will fail.

-Ben