[dm-devel] Multipath timeout

Martin Wilck mwilck at suse.com
Sun Mar 26 14:06:05 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-03-21 at 15:48 +0100, Isidro Hortelano wrote:
> I have a scsi timeout of 30 sec. by default, with this configuration
> how much time does the multipath wait for an answer from a scsi
> command issued?

The SCSI timeout also applies to the TUR commands sent by multipathd,
so that's about the time it would wait, plus/minus a few seconds
(multipathd doesn't try to be accurate). Note that you can set the
"checker_timeout" configuration option to modify the timeout value.

If other ("normal") SCSI commands time out, and the kernel error
handling results in failing the path, multipathd will be notified by an
DM event. But the kernel will not necessarily fail the path immediately
after a command timeout.

Regards
Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wilck <mwilck at suse.com>, Tel. +49 (0)911 74053 2107
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton