[dm-devel] xts fuzz testing and lack of ciphertext stealing support

Horia Geanta horia.geanta at nxp.com
Wed Aug 7 15:51:49 UTC 2019

On 7/26/2019 10:59 PM, Horia Geantă wrote:
> On 7/26/2019 1:31 PM, Pascal Van Leeuwen wrote:
>> Ok, find below a patch file that adds your vectors from the specification
>> plus my set of additional vectors covering all CTS alignments combined
>> with the block sizes you desired. Please note though that these vectors
>> are from our in-house home-grown model so no warranties.
> I've checked the test vectors against caam (HW + driver).
>
> Test vectors from IEEE 1619-2007 (i.e. up to and including "XTS-AES 18")
> are fine.
>
> caam complains when /* Additional vectors to increase CTS coverage */
> section starts:
> alg: skcipher: xts-aes-caam encryption test failed (wrong result) on test vector 9, cfg="in-place"

I've nailed this down to a caam hw limitation.
Except for lx2160a and ls1028a SoCs, all the (older) SoCs allow only for
8-byte wide IV (sector index).
Will follow up with 16-byte IV support for the above-mentioned SoCs.

Pascal,

Could you also generate a few test vectors covering CTS with 8-byte IV?

Thanks,
Horia