[edk2-devel] [edk2-platforms] [RFC] Migrate devel-MinPlatform branch to master branch

Leif Lindholm leif.lindholm at linaro.org
Thu May 2 15:04:27 UTC 2019

Hi Michael,

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 09:11:38PM +0000, Kubacki, Michael A wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This RFC proposes moving the content on the devel-MinPlatform branch
> in the edk2-platforms repository to the master branch in the
> edk2-platforms repository.
>
> The devel-MinPlatform branch has been used for the initial development
> of an EDK II based platform design referred to as "Minimum Platform".
> This design is intended to provide a structured approach to introducing
> Intel platform code into open source in a consistent manner.
>
> For more information about the EDK II Minimum Platform, please refer to
> the Readme.md in devel-MinPlatform.
> https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-platforms/blob/devel-MinPlatform/ReadMe.md
>
> The following packages would be added in Platform/Intel:
>   * Generic packages:
>      * AdvancedFeaturePkg
>      * MinPlatformPkg

First a generic comment with some examples:
Both of these include non-architecture-specific components that could
be useful to have more generally available.

Certainly AdvancedFeaturePkg/Smbios/ and AcpiDebug look like something
of a generic nature rather than Intel-platform specific.

And Platform/Intel/MinPlatformPkg/Library/CompressLib/CompressLib.c
appears to have nearly only whitespace differences compared to edk2
ShellPkg/Library/UefiShellDebug1CommandsLib/Compress.c.

(With edk2 already having 3 additional quite similar files in
BaseTools/Source/C/Common/EfiCompress.c
BaseTools/Source/C/Common/TianoCompress.c
BaseTools/Source/C/TianoCompress/TianoCompress.c)

Secondly - edk2 has recently transitioned to bsd+patents license, and
it would make sense if edk2-platforms did the same. Do we want to do
that before or after this addition?

Finally, what should we do for Maintainers.txt?

Best Regards,

Leif

View/Reply Online (#39919): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/39919
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io